- 4 lbs potatoes, about 6 to 8 medium
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream or 1⁄2 cup regular sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut in half. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Then, reduce heat to medium and boil gently, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, from 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash, preferably with a potato masher.
- Stir in butter, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese just until mixed.
- Pile into a heated serving dish.
- Potatoes can be covered and kept warm in oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley or finely sliced green onions, if you wish.