Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sandwich is a little bit out there, but in a nice way. It is sweet and hearty with a little crunch and a lot of holiday flavour. This was created especially for the Craze-E contest and I hope its not too crazy for you to try. ;)
For the spiced cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (low-fat is fine)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used half dark and half light brown sugar)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 2 pinches chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped finely
- 8 slices dark rye bread or 8 slices other whole wheat bread
- 4 slices havarti cheese (one slice should be the size of your bread slice, otherwise use two)
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Prepare the spiced cream cheese by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and stirring until well blended.
- When youre ready for assembly spread cream cheese on 4 of the bread slices. You can add as much as you like, but Id recommend about 1 tbs per slice. Top with a slice of havarti cheese.
- On top of the cheese put about 1 tbs of strawberry jam and spread it a bit. Finish your sandwich by topping it with the second slice of bread pressing down a bit. Enjoy!
This is a very good recipe. I made it as written using whole wheat bread. The spiced cream cheese was great and the crunch from the pistachios made it special. Thanks for sharing. Made for Craze-E Contest 2011.
Interesting combination, but it worked! I love the combination of the smooth cream cheese with the crunchiness of the pistachios. I also think that adding flavour to the cream cheese is much better than buying ready made flavoured cream cheese from the store.
This was very tasty! I didn't have pistachios on hand so used what I had which was pecans. Otherwise made as directed using whole wheat bread, light cream cheese, and half/half dark/light sugar. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the contest!