Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 11 ounces canned whole tomatoes, undrained
- 8 teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2⁄3 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 8 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté over low heat until onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in undrained whole tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a steamer rack, place in a large pot to which 1 inch of water has been added, and steam for about 5 minutes until eggplant is tender.
- Do not overcook.
- Combine the mozzarella and cottage cheeses together and set aside.
- Coat a 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and place a layer of eggplant in the pan.
- Top eggplant with some of the sauce mixture and some of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the steps in layers until all the ingredients are used.
- Bake at 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes and serve hot.
When I make this, I use store-bought sauce to save time. I grill my eggplant in my grill pan until soft. Then I follow the recipe as written. Very yummy, my DH likes spaghetti or penne on the side.
I love this recipe. However I have never,ever treated eggplant any different than any other vegetable. I just use it in the recipe without any special previous treatment...just wash, peel & slice before popping into the recipe.Saves a lot of fuss and time for me.