Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours before baking which makes this the perfect brunch casserole! The cayenne is only optional--I like to add it in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms (can use less)
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked ham (can use less)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 pinch hot sauce (optional) or 1 pinch Tabasco sauce (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar with 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese then sprinkle evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large skillet melt butter oven medium heat; add in sliced mushrooms and cook until they release there moisture (about 10 minutes).
- Add in green onions and red bell pepper; saute for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the cheese, then sprinkle the chopped ham over the mushroom mixture.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) until thoroughly blended; pour evenly over the ham.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese (or to taste) and return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.