Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
Top Review by Nutcakes
This was a nice change up from my usual buttermilk cornbread. It has a nice light texture without being dry and the underlying rich cheese flavor makes it a treat alongside a soup supper. I added green chiles. I picked it because the quick cooking time was the clincher for a fast dinner tonight. Made in a heated cast iron skillet with a bit of butter melted in it.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, White or Yellow
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
- 1 large egg, Slightly Beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the dry ingredients, then stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Combine the egg with the milk and oil.
- Stir into the cheddar mixture, mixing until just moistened.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into squares, then serve warm.