Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This warm, yummy, Italian-lover dish came about when my cousin asked my mom, "Can we have something with cheese and pasta in it?" Yeah mom!
- Fill a large pot with water and cook penne according to directions on box.
- Meanwhile, chop the thawed chicken into bite-size strips. Set aside.
- When the penne is done, drain and set aside; heat the pot with the olive oil and let the oil get really hot.
- Add just under 1 TBSP of fresh minced garlic and add basil and onion. Stir around a bit and add the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and then sprinkle a lot of garlic salt. Add a little ground black pepper.
- Stir fry until chicken is no longer pink, around 5 minutes; do not overcook, as the chicken will get tough!
- Spoon the chicken into the bottom of a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray; glass looks really pretty. Spread penne evenly over that.
- Pour marinara sauce over all and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over that. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over everything, it should just be a thin layer.
- Bake at 300°F until cheese melts, about 9-15 minutes.
This was an awesome and very simple recipe. I used a marinara sauce with mushrooms in it and I sliced the chicken width wise very thinly. It was a huge hit with everyone in the family and we are all looking forward to the left overs!