A recipe from the Canadian Wheat Board. First time I made them, my kids loved them. I freeze individually for lunches and snacks. Very cheesy! I've also made them the night before and refrigerated them overnight and baked in the morning.
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm (105-115F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast, instant quick rise
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk, regular, 2% (105-115 degrees F)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, kosher
- 4 1⁄2-5 1⁄2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, cubed cheddar
- 1 cup cheese, grated cheddar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- DIRECTIONS FOR BUNS.
- Combine warm water and sugar.
- Add yeast and let stand until mixture bubbles.
- Combine mild, yeast mixture, oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Add flour to form a dough that is soft but not too sticky.
- Knead 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes in a mixer on low speed.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in volume ( approx 1-1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down and knead in cubed and grated cheese.
- Divide into 16 - 18 pieces.
- Shape into rounds.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE.
- Carefully brush rolls with beaten egg mixed with water.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until well browned.
- Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire rack.