Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I came up with this recipe today, when I wanted to make something easy but filling and tasty for my lunch. Unconcious influences from other recipes I have made may be present in this. The reason why you need to put it in the oven again is because it helps the flavours of the seasonings really infuse into the potato. When I tried it, I wasn't sure whether this would happen but it did.
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I think because I did not measure anything while making it)
- butter or butter substitute
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- crushed chili pepper, to taste (or seasonings of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Wash and scrub potatoes, then pat dry.
- Wrap each potato in a piece of aluminium foil.
- Push a metal skewer lengthwise through each potato- if you don't have any metal skewers, then use or butter knife or possibly a fork because you MUST have something metal through the potato and wooden skewers will not work.
- Place in the oven to bake for 25-30 mins (test with a fork to see it is cooked) Remove from the oven and still wearing oven gloves, hold one end of the skewer with one hand while you slide the potato off the other.
- Place on plate and carefully remove the foil and allow to cool slightly for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, make a cross cut on the top of the potato and spread butter (as much or as little as you want) into each of the four sections.
- Don't worry if the potato breaks when you cut it as you will be putting it together for the next part.
- Season with garlic salt.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese equally, inside the potatoes.
- Add pepper and chilli peppers.
- Top with the remaining cheese, making sure this time that you put it on the top of the outside of the potato as well as the inside.
- Again, wrap the potatoes in foil (you can use the same foil as long it's not torn) but you don't need to worry about the skewers this time.
- Place in the oven for 2-3 minutes longer.
- After taking it out, place on a plate, unwrap the parcels and eat off the foil.
Love the chili along with the cheese. I cut back on the butter & Cheese and they were still super tasty. Piercing the potato with a metal skewer really cuts down on the baking time - Thanks Goldcrest for adding enjoyment to my dinner!