Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe for these stuffed spuds; other ideas for what to add include chopped ham or bacon, chopped peppers, fried mushrooms and cream cheese too. These baked potatoes can be made ahead of time, before the final baking, and then can be finished off in hot oven or under the grill just before serving, making them mid-week family friendly! (I used an assortment of cheeses I my recipe, bits and pieces that were cluttering up the fridge, which included Cheddar, Shropshire Blue, Caboc and some Somerset Brie. However, any British cheese would be wonderful in this recipe and you can add your favourites. I would like to bake these spuds with some Single Gloucester or Double Gloucester, Yorkshire Fettle and some Cornish Yarg next time, all favourites of mine. And, if you are serving these cheese stuffed potatoes to the little ones, then familiar hard and crumbly cheeses can be used, such as Red Leicester, Wensleydale, Cheshire or Lancashire)
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Wash the potatoes and then dry them, before pricking them all over with a fork and baking them in the pre-heated oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile, mix all of the grated and mashed cheeses together; add the chopped spring onions, mustard powder and a little salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Set to one side.
- When the potatoes are cooked, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool, before cutting them in half and scooping out all of the cooked potato flesh inside – leaving and empty skin.
- Mix the warm potato flesh with cheese and add the butter whilst they are still warm, so it melts. Mix well.
- Pile the cheesy potato filling into the potato skins, place them on a greased baking sheet and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are hot all the way through and the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately with chopped chives and assorted salad leaves or seasonal vegetables.
Aussie Swap #87: DELICIOUS! Reminds me of "Twice-baked potatoes" that we have made in the past! The filling is heavenly - especially with the flavor of the mustard powder and cheese! Thank you Tarty!