Recipe by AdriMicina
Just found it on a little book called "Baking" and started drooling...I will sure try it sooner or later (perhaps later, due to a little problem with my cholesterol...) Not the healthiest and lowest-fat recipe, but once in a while I suppose it wouldn't kill anyone!
- 2 1⁄2 cups white breadcrumbs or 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 100 g grated gruyere cheese or 100 g other strong flavoured cheese (being italian and with a passion for fontina I'd use this, but you can try anything I suppose)
- 150 ml warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 4 cup ovenproof dish and preheat oven 190°C.
- Mix breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl.
- Pour milk over cheese and breadcrumbs and mix.
- Add melted butter, egg yolks, salt and pepper to taste and parsley or chives, mix well.
- Whisk egg whites until firm peaks form, fold into the cheese mixture, a little at a time.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until golden and slightly risen, and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with a green salad.