Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great with smoked cheese but also work with any other hard cheese. Makes a nice snack. I got it from a cheese guide leaflet. It's lovely served with a poached egg.
- 1 lb potato
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 50 g smoked cheese, grated
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Grate the potatoes into a colander, squeezing out the excess moisture.
- In a bowl, mix potatoes and all other ingredients, season to taste.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and drop 2-3 heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan.
- Using a spoon flatten the mixture slightly and fry on medium heat for approx 7-10 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown.
- Keep the potatoe cakes warm in the oven on low heat while finishing the rest.
- You'll need to add oil as necessary for the second batch.
Enjoyed by all! The first batch was not very pretty. I wasn't thinking and did not use a teflon-coated pan, man those suckers stuck to the skillet. Anyways, batch 2 was done in a non-stick pan and though they weren't the prettiest potato pancakes, they were very good. These are the first I've had or made that had cheese. I used a smoked gouda. Thanks!!
We enjoyed these very much. I made them using Yukon gold potatoes and smoked gouda and parsley picked from the garden! Thanks, Sylvie!
Everyone loved these & gobbled them allll up! I used gouda. I was thinking the onion needed draining more than the potatoes but they came out perfect & wonderful. Thank you!