Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a simplified version of this favorite side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup grits
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup pureed canned corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and,stirring constantly, add the grits in a slow steady stream.
- Continue stirring until thick--about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Stir cheese, yolks,and corn into grits.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining salt and the pepper.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites,in thirds,into the corn mixture.
- Fill 8 one-cup ramekins and place on baking sheet.
- Bake until puffed-40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.