Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very comforting recipe. I don't remember where it came from but I have been making it for several years.
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- parsley sprig (to garnish)
- Cut each breast half into 2 cutlets. Pound each to 1/8 inch thick.
- Mix salt with 3 tbsp flour and coat chicken with this mixture.
- In skillet, melt 3 tbsp butter, add cutlets a few at a time and saute until lightly browned on both sides, adding more butter if necessary.
- Remove cutlets from the skillet.
- Arrange cheese slices on 6 cutlets; top with remaining cutlets and skewer layers together with toothpicks. Set aside.
- In the drippings, melt 2 tbsp more butter. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper and 1 tbsp flour; blend well. Gradually stir in water, milk, wine, and bouillon. Heat to boiling, stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Return cutlets to skillet; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is thoroughly cooked. Carefully remove toothpicks.
- Spoon cutlets and sauce onto a large platter; garnish with parsley sprigs.
Oh my gosh! So delicious. I will serve this to company proudly. I substituted olive oil for butter -- a little healthier and still just delicious. This is, indeed, comfort food, but it's comfort food with class. Thanks a million.