Recipe by Karen From Colorado
The recipe is dedicated to all those single parents and career people that don't have a lot of time at the end of the day to prepare dinner and that don't mind using prepared ingredients for a quick meal. I made this up because my daughter was sick with a cold and a sore throat and wanted something soft and easy to eat. Granted the French fried onions did not fit in with that idea, but they did add a nice taste and crunch to this casserole and she managed them just fine despite her sore throat. Since I was caring for both her and my baby grandson, I didn't have a lot of time to spend on making dinner. The entire casserole (except for the spices) cost me about $20 and after feeding 3 adults, there is plenty left over for another meal or lunches at work the next day. If you don't like leftovers, halve the recipe. I much prefer using ingredients that do not come from a jar or a can, but sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do to put a meal on the table on a budget, and this was my attempt. It is pretty tasty if I may say so for myself.
Top Review by Chai Latte 2 Go
We were all very excited to try this recipe, but found it was way too rich to enjoy. We're all cheese lovers, too - unfortunately, the alfredo sauce and Velveeta combined was too much and made the dish inedible for us.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 (16 ounce) packageslarge shell pasta (cooked according the the package instructions)
- 2 (15 ounce) jars alfredo sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions
- 2 cups frozen corn or 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef with the onions and spices; drain and rinse off the fat (you don't need the fat for flavor because you are going to add cheese flavors).
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In a large casserole dish, mix together the ground beef and onion mixture, the vegetables, cooked pasta, jarred Alfredo sauce, and cheese cubes.
- Bake for 10 minutes; stir.
- Top casserole with the French fried onions.
- Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until hot and onions are browning.