Recipe by Laura G
This is from my husband's "Grannie" passed on to my mother-in-law, now to me. Use day or two old French bread or any other crunchy crusted bread. My husband LOVES them on English Muffins. I also tried this on Frito's "scoops"...oooooh, yummy!!
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 7 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small green pepper
- 4 ounces chopped black olives
- 2 loaves French bread or 2 loaves Italian bread or 9 English muffins, halved (or 1 bag of Frito's scoops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop green pepper (in food processor is GREAT).
- Drain green pepper VERY well.
- Drain black olives VERY well.
- Mix all together.
- Let stand, covered, in refridgerator for 3 or more hours.
- Pre-heat oven 400 degrees.
- Spread cheese mixture on bread or muffins within 1/4" from edges or scoop with Frito's scoops.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, till bubbly.
- Remove, cool slightly-- cheese IS HOT!