Recipe by Kaccy G.
This is basically a "mexican grilled cheese" , very quick and easy to make. I like to add some crumbled bacon to mine every once in a while. Be creative! And enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little more for the tortillas
- 1 lb button mushroom, cleaned and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 -2 jalapeno, stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 16 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and chiles, stir well, and cover.
- Continue to stir every minute or so, replacing the cover each time, until the mushrooms have released a lot of juice, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Uncover, and let briskly simmer until all the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/4 teaspoon.
- Add the cilantro.
- Heat a well-seasoned or nonstick griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Turn the oven on to its lowest setting.
- One by one, make the quesadillas: Lightly brush 1 side of each tortilla with oil, then lay it oiled side down on the hot griddle.
- Spread with about 1/4 cup of the cheese, leaving a 1/4-inch border all around.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture down the center of the cheese-covered tortilla.
- When the cheese begins to melt (but before the tortilla begins to crisp), place another tortilla on top and flip.
- Cook, flipping the quesadilla every minute or so, until the cheese is completely melted and the tortilla crisps, about 3-5 minutes in all.
- As each quesadilla is done, transfer it to a baking sheet and keep in a warm oven.