Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found a recipe in Cooking Light that looked great, but I knew I would want to make some changes (mainly, I wanted to make it veg). Here is the recipe as I intend to make it, posted for safekeeping. Feel free to offer suggestions! I'm also tempted to add more veggies...
- 391.22 g can pizza dough (I'll make my own)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml mushroom, diced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 177.44 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 59.14 ml green chili, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10–inch rectangle.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook until tender. Stir in eggs and chiles; cook until set. Remove from heat.
- 4. Sprinkle 1/2 c cheese lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheddar over egg mixture.
- 5. Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Arrange strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally over filling. Press ends under to seal. Brush with egg white if desired. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices.
I doubled the recipe and made two since this was sent with 8 hungry men for breakfast during their annual man outing to the lake! I made them the night before and froze them. I just had them bake them about 10 minutes longer than instructed. They all loved it and according to DH there was not a bite left! A winner in my book! Made for Veg'n Swap 37!
Delicious! I don't care for onions so left them out. I made half of the recipe, using a small can of crescent rolls (pinching the seams together to make a sheet of dough). I loved the green chilis in this, added a great flavor. Easy to make and impressive for company - thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011