Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rich and creamy mashed potatoes are topped with cheddar cheese and tomato slices, then baked. Instant mashed potatoes could be used, but I think making your own is the best way. From an Easy Everyday Cooking recipe card.
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup French onion dip
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a medium sauce pan and add enough water to cover.
- Cook over medium-high heat until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain potatoes, return to saucepan and mash in pan.
- Add sour cream and cream cheese to saucepan.
- Whip potatoes with a wire whisk (or electric hand-held mixer) until well mixed.
- Mix in onion salt, garlic salt and pepper.
- Spoon potato mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and bake for 20 minutes.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of casserole and sprinkle with chives.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.