Recipe by mostrah
My nephew proclaims this the "King" of breads! I make this for him and my dinner guests often. It's easy and fairly fool-proof with a bread machine. A great accompaniment to soup and salad! The cook time does not include the bread machine time.
Top Review by Mary W.
I made this to serve with Pasta e Fagioli soup. It was a good bread to pair with the soup. Then, I made it up as a gift mix with instructions to add the onions and cheese to the basic ingredients. We loved it. Mary
- 1 1⁄8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or mister to spray bread)
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 7 ingredients in bread machine according to machine directions.
- Process on dough cycle.
- Remove dough and form into a large semi-flat round.
- Cover and let rise until double, approximately 45 minutes.
- Uncover and press cheese into dough with fingertips.
- Spritz or drizzle oil over the dough and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until bottom is slightly browned.
- Slice into pie wedges and serve.