Recipe by iewe
This is from Better Homes and Gardens. I love macaroni salad, but cheese makes everything better! :) Prep/cook time does not include chilling time. Can easily be doubled for larger get togethers.
Top Review by heather.munchinsky
Yummy! My sister and I were looking for a good basic macaroni salad recipe. We like all the veggies in this one but we made some changes. We added green onions instead of white onions. We also added a red pepper as well as a tin of kernel corn. To give it a bit more taste we added a couple more tablespoons of dill relish as well as dried dill to taste. Thanks!
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain macaroni and rinse with.
- cold water. Drain again.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked macaroni, cheese, celery, green bell pepper, peas, and onion. Stir gently to combine.
- For dressing: Mix mayonnaise or salad dressing, sour cream, milk, pickle.
- relish, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss dressing with macaroni mixture.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. If necessary, stir in a small amount of additional milk.