Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, Sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Extra Sharp (The Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese should be finely grated.)
- Stir the dry ingredients into a bowl and then cut in the butter to resemble cornmeal.
- Blend in the cheddar cheese with a fork until well blended.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and shape into 1 1/2 to 2-inch rolls.
- Chill for 30 to 40 minutes in the refrigerator and then slice each roll into slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool.
- Store the cooled crackers in airtight containers in a cool place.
- They will keep for several weeks this way and if you freeze them, they will last indefinitely.
I had the same problem as Laurie. I used a few tbsp of milk. I also added a 1/2 tsp five spice powder. It was ok but I did not like it much. Again, if you expect a crispy cracker, this is not it. I think the claim about this cracker lasting indefinitely is wrong, since I felt that in 3 days it developed a stale odour.
I tried this recipe and could not get it to stick together. I added a 1/2 cup of water& refergerated them. They were (ok) but nowhere near being like a cracker. Laurie Lewis
i will try soon!!! i love cheddar....but in italy? can it be found? Alessio