Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
- 1⁄2 cup beer (lager is best)
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Bring beer to a boil in small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Process cheddar, onion, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire, tabasco, and garlic in a food processor till very smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the beer and process till mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate till firm, about 2 hours.
- Can be refrigerated, wrapped good and tight, for up to 1 week.
I have this same cookbook and it has many recipes that I really love in it but this one was not very good. It sounds great - Cheddar and Beer, what's not to love? The taste though is very sharp, the onions don't blend in with the other flavors, and the beer leaves a sour after taste in your mouth. I was really bummed because it sounds great. Thank you for posting though!