1 hr 4 mins
A bit like an omelet, but still a really different breakfast, brunch or dinner. Intriguing combination of taste and texture with a bit of a kick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach) or 2 cups asparagus (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach) or 2 cups green beans (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach) or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, unthawed (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach) or 1 (10 ounce) package asparagus (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach) or 1 (10 ounce) package green beans (or 5 oz of your choice with 5 oz spinach)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices white bread, buttered & halved (crusts removed)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 slices white bread, cut into 1 " cubes (crusts removed)
- 2 dashes paprika (to garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a skillet, heat oil for 1 minute over medium heat, then saute onions until slightly soft (2-3 minutes).
- 3Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring continuously, for another 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the broccoli, asparagus, or green beans along with mustard, salt, and pepper; cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Line a lightly greased 13"x9"x2" baking dish with 4 slices buttered bread, top with 1/2 of the vegetable mixture, and sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over that.
- 6Combine the eggs, milk, and chilies in a medium sized bowl, pour into the baking dish then layer on remaining bread, vegetables, and cheese.
- 7Sprinkle with paprika.
- 8Bake, covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- 9Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes (until puffed and set like custard).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar and Veggie Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.9
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 222.8 mg
- Sodium 1100.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 29.0 g