Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Love Giada - Love Gnocchi - so have to cheat this one into my diet ! Saw her on the Today Show this morning making this one ! I use a Heavy Cream Substitute recipe in place of her heavy cream - the recipe is at the end of this one, makes one cup, so I double and add all to make this casserole.
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi, cooked as directed
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream (my Substitute or Half and Half)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (or veggie)
- 1⁄8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ground nutmeg, a pinch
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place gnocchi in a lightly greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, broth, and flour over medium heat. Continue whisking until the sauce is simmering and thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stir to combine. Add spinach and toss to coat in the cream. Pour the cream and spinach mixture over the gnocchi evenly, spreading the spinach out to cover all the potato dumplings.
- Crumble goat cheese over the spinach. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is golden in places, about 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Heavy Cream Substitute.
- 3/4 cup milk (fat free).
- 1/3 cup margarine , melted and cooled (I use Brummel & Brown Yogurt Butter).
- Combine the two ingredients in small bowl and use in place of one cup of Heavy Cream in recipes.