Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I call this cheaters minestrone because it's not quite the real thing but it is really tasty. Even the kids love it! The bean and bacon soup lend a nice subtle smoky flavor to it with just the right amount of beans. If you have a piece of Parmesan rind reserved, throw it in! Slice through the bacon before frying and you will save yourself even more time!
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 10 ounces condensed bean with bacon soup, Campbell's, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice or 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated at serving
- Slice through bacon, put in the the dutch oven and fry until crisp.
- Remove bacon from drippings; drain on a paper towel to remove excess grease. Reserve 1 or 2 Tablespoons bacon grease; leave grease in the pan.
- In reserved bacon grease, sauté onions until slightly translucent; add garlic and sauté an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add carrots, celery, basil, broth, bean and bacon soup, water, tomatoes, cabbage, and zucchini.
- Simmer for at least 60 minutes. Remove Parmesan rind.
- In the mean time: boil water for pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- DO NOT ADD pasta to the soup. Rinse cooked pasta with hot water to remove the starch residue and prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Ladle hot soup over cooked macaroni; top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Really tasty, quick and easy to make soup. Finally found the Campbell's bean and bacon soup! The only thing I left out was the zucchini, personal preference. Definitely on my make again soon list. Served with thick sices of French bread and garden salad.