1 hr 20 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
I call this cheaters minestrone because it's not quite the real thing but it is really tasty. Even the kids love it! The bean and bacon soup lend a nice subtle smoky flavor to it with just the right amount of beans. If you have a piece of Parmesan rind reserved, throw it in! Slice through the bacon before frying and you will save yourself even more time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and medium dice
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 10 ounces condensed bean with bacon soup, Campbell's, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice or 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated at serving
- 1Slice through bacon, put in the the dutch oven and fry until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon from drippings; drain on a paper towel to remove excess grease. Reserve 1 or 2 Tablespoons bacon grease; leave grease in the pan.
- 3In reserved bacon grease, sauté onions until slightly translucent; add garlic and sauté an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- 4Add carrots, celery, basil, broth, bean and bacon soup, water, tomatoes, cabbage, and zucchini.
- 5Simmer for at least 60 minutes. Remove Parmesan rind.
- 6In the mean time: boil water for pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- 7DO NOT ADD pasta to the soup. Rinse cooked pasta with hot water to remove the starch residue and prevent sticking. Set aside.
- 8Ladle hot soup over cooked macaroni; top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheaters " Quick & Easy" Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.7
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 1111.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth