Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I call this cheaters minestrone because it's not quite the real thing but it is really tasty. Even the kids love it! The bean and bacon soup lend a nice subtle smoky flavor to it with just the right amount of beans. If you have a piece of Parmesan rind reserved, throw it in! Slice through the bacon before frying and you will save yourself even more time!
Top Review by foodtvfan
Really tasty, quick and easy to make soup. Finally found the Campbell's bean and bacon soup! The only thing I left out was the zucchini, personal preference. Definitely on my make again soon list. Served with thick sices of French bread and garden salad.
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 10 ounces condensed bean with bacon soup, Campbell's, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice or 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated at serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice through bacon, put in the the dutch oven and fry until crisp.
- Remove bacon from drippings; drain on a paper towel to remove excess grease. Reserve 1 or 2 Tablespoons bacon grease; leave grease in the pan.
- In reserved bacon grease, sauté onions until slightly translucent; add garlic and sauté an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add carrots, celery, basil, broth, bean and bacon soup, water, tomatoes, cabbage, and zucchini.
- Simmer for at least 60 minutes. Remove Parmesan rind.
- In the mean time: boil water for pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- DO NOT ADD pasta to the soup. Rinse cooked pasta with hot water to remove the starch residue and prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Ladle hot soup over cooked macaroni; top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.