Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very fast and easy soup made by doctoring canned goods. Reasonably low fat, high fibre, vegetarian. And yet - people like it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 (19 ounce) cans black beans
- 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable cocktail or 4 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- Drain and rinse the beans, but keep the liquid in which the beans were packed.
- Puree the beans thoroughly in a food processor.
- Saute the seasonings in the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the beans, the vegetable cocktail and the sugar.
- Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Taste the soup, and thin it with water or the bean liquid, according to whether you think the soup needs more salt or not.
- (The bean packing liquid is very salty.) Serve with chopped coriander and lime wedges.
Easy, fast, healthy soup. I also added a bit of garlic and chives when it was finished. I tried it as a way to use up tomato juice, but will make it again.
Since this is called Cheater's Soup, I took the liberty of cheating. This is a great soup. I made it as far as ingredients, exactly as listed, with the addition of added smoked link sausage slices. I used the beans and the bean liquid, but I did not blend up the beans. I left them whole. We ate this soup along with sliced sour dough bread and it was wonderful. Be sure to recommend this soup in the soup threads you see every so often. Really warming on those cold winter nights.
This is an easy to follow recipe that resulted in a delicious soup. I did add a bit of garlic and 1/2 tsp Ancho Powder. Jenny thanks for sharing your recipe.