Recipe by Jenny Sanders
A very fast and easy soup made by doctoring canned goods. Reasonably low fat, high fibre, vegetarian. And yet - people like it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 (19 ounce) cans black beans
- 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable cocktail or 4 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse the beans, but keep the liquid in which the beans were packed.
- Puree the beans thoroughly in a food processor.
- Saute the seasonings in the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the beans, the vegetable cocktail and the sugar.
- Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Taste the soup, and thin it with water or the bean liquid, according to whether you think the soup needs more salt or not.
- (The bean packing liquid is very salty.) Serve with chopped coriander and lime wedges.