David J Rust's Note:
This is my attempt to make a fast-n-dirty chicken-n-beans chili. Yep: this should tick off most chili purists: it's made from chicken and has a hefty amount of beans in it. But, yeah, it tastes real good!
My Private Note
small b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large, deep skillet (one that has a tight-fitting lid, for later) and over medium-high heat, sautee the onion and serrano chilies in the oil. Stir and cook until the onions turn transluscent and start to brown around the edges.
- 2Before using the cumin, grind the seeds into powder (or use powdered cumin).
- 3Add in the ground meat, scattering it around the skillet. Season the still-raw meat with the herbs, spices, salt, and pepper.
- 4Halfway through browning the meat, add the garlic and stir it inches.
- 5Add the beans and two cups of their reserved soaking liquid. If you do not have any reserved bean liquid (or do not have enough) use up to two cups of water, instead.
- 6Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
- 7Uncover, stir, and raise the heat to medium. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes (stirring every 5 minutes or so) or until the chili has pulled together into a thick, stew-like consistency. Stirring at this stage, while it is uncovered, is important to keep the dish from burning.
- 8Remove from heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheapass Chicken Chili
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.6
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 203.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: