Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple, cheap, nutritious and delicious.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes (or if in season, use fresh.)
- 1 bunch spinach or 1 bunch other greens
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder (or, if you have the spices, don't use the curry powder but use 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp cumin)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Saute the onions, garlic, ginger over low heat in 1 tbsp or so oil.
- for ~ 20 to 30 minutes stirring frequently as you go about your.
- other chores (or use a crock pot and forget it for ~ 1 hr).
- When they are cooked down, and dark golden and fragrant and.
- the raw smell has gone, add spices EXCEPT garam masala.
- and saute for a few minutes.
- on higher heat until the spices lose their raw smell, don't let them.
- burn - so watch closely - whether in crock pot or stove top.
- Add the BEP, tomatoes, and greens if using, and simmer on.
- low for ~ 15 minutes until all homogenized (or another 1 hr in a crock pot).
- Add the garam masala.
- towards the end; add salt to taste, and maybe a shot of lemon juice.
- when the heat is turned off.
- Serve hot with rice or tortillas.
- Leftovers just get better with age. Refrigerate and reheat.