Based on a recipe from The South Beach Diet Cookbook. Simple and fresh.
Make and share this Chayote Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 3 chayotes, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (wear plastic gloves when handling)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small lemon, juiced and strained
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
- Combine chayote, chile pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, and vinegar in large bowl.
- Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro springs.
Good salad. This was the first time that I have ever tried chayote so I used 1/2 squash for one serving. It was mild so the other ingredients kicked it up nicely. After reading the other reviews, I julienned mine which worked well. Thanks mersaydees for a nice salad. Made for ZWT8 - Mexico/Tex Mex.
I had one chayote so I made 1/3 of this recipe. Chayote is very mild so the serrano really bumped up the flavour! I would probably julienne the squash next time just so it's easier to eat. Yum! Made for ZWT8. Thanks mersaydees! :)
Not only is this salad delicious and easy to put together, it's addictive! On average, we have this at least once a week and have passed the recipe along to family across the country. Everyone loves it! The only direction I stray from in this recipe is to julienne the chayote instead of slicing it thin. Purely a preference thing. Thanks for giving us a new family favorite, mersaydees!