Recipe by Bergy
Colorful, interesting side dish on a buffet table or as an addition to any meal. Chayotes are widely used as a vegetab le in Mexico
Top Review by joy of jess
This was a perfect lite summer salad. The only change I made was that I ended up sautÃ©ing the chayote in a bit of butter for a quicker fix. Oh, and I also added some fresh snap peas from the garden. I'd never cooked or even tried chayote before and really enjoyed its fresh crisp taste & texture. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe Bergy.
- 2 medium chayotes, cut in quarters,pit removed,and steamed 20 minutes or until not quite temder (3/4 lb)
- 1 (540 ml) can whole kernel corn
- 6 medium roma tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cut in 1/2 inch cubes (apprx 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup lite olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- After steaming the chayote, cool, peel and cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Combine the chayote, corn, tomatoes& green onions.
- In your blender or food processor blend together the lime juice, salt& red pepper flakes.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil with the blender on.
- Toss the dressing with the salad, sprinkle with the parsley flakes Chill and serve.