Potato, Tomato, Corn and Basil Salad
photo by K9 Owned
- Ready In:
- 1 lb baby red potato, cleaned
- 5 medium ears of corn, shucked
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 bunch fresh basil, rinsed and dried
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper, to taste
- Put potatoes into a big pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook approximately 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Scoop potatoes out into a bowl filled with ice water (to stop the cooking).
- Cook the corn in the same boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cooled potatoes to a cutting board and cut into quarters. Put in a large salad bowl.
- Add corn to the bowl of ice water, until cooled. Drain.
- Cut the kernels off of each ear of corn and add to the salad bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and whole basil leaves (you can tear or julienne them, if you want).
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and toss gently to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or you can let the flavors meld.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really enjoyed this salad and it's wonderful to have another option for a non mayonnaise based potato salad. I followed the recipe except that after reading the reviews opted to add a tsp of honey to the dressing to cut the tartness and I used grape, cherry and a regular slicing tomato as they were all ripe and ready. Will definitely make this again as you don't need any other sides to a meal - it's all right here! Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest 2014. .
Great salad - I can't wait to make it during summer when the corn and tomatoes are at their best - I can tell it's March and the corn used was frozen, but still, it's delicious! I used multi-coloured tomatoes to make up for the frozen corn, and besides, I love the flavour. As the dressing is simple, use your good olive oil, and be generous with the fresh ground pepper. This will be a great addition to a BBQ menu, particularly since it's easily made ahead, and doesn't contain mayo. Thanks so much, LIG, for the fantastic recipe! Made for March's Veggie Swap VIP, LIG!
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I have a wonderful husband and two fantastic kids. I love to read, have fun with family and friends, stay active with: running; soccer; golf; biking; hiking; and gardening. I love to travel. I'm looking forward to more international travel someday. Cooking has become a passion for me. I love to read cookbooks, watch the Food Network, and try new recipes. I have way too many cookbooks! A few of my favorites are: Barefoot Contessa (any - but especially 'Family Style'),Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2, Roasting by Barbara Kafka, Beyond Parsley & The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook. I try to carefully choose recipes that I think my family will enjoy, which is why most of my ratings are 3-5 stars. Happy cooking!