Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
Chopped romaine lettuce tossed with fresh corn, avocado, cucumber and nicely spiced shrimp, this salad is big and bright, and it packs no shortage of heat from its jalapeno-spiced dressing. Chaya' restaurant was happy to share its recipe for chopped salad.
- 2 jalapenos
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 pinch celery seed, powder (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces medium shrimp
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced
- 1 cob white corn, kernels removed (about 1 1/3 cups kernels)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- To prepare the dressing: Place the jalapenos on a rack set over a stove-top burner or on the grill and roast until charred on all sides. When cool enough to handle, peel and seed. In a blender, combine jalapenos, mayonnaise, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil; blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until needed.
- To prepare the shrimp: In a small bowl, combine chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper and celery seed powder to make a spice blend.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat until hot, then add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add shrimp and sauté until slightly opaque, 1 - 2 minutes, then sprinkle the spice blend over the shrimp, shaking pan and continue cooking just until opaque. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss chopped romaine with the cucumber, avocado, corn kernels and sauteed shrimp. Add half the dressing and gently toss to coat. Add additional dressing, a couple of tablespoons at a time, to coat as desired.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates; top each with 1 tablespoon cheese, 4 halved tomatoes and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Note: For the celery seed powder, grind celery seeds in a spice or coffee grinder, or use a mortar and pestle.
Wonderful spicy dressing and shrimp - wouldn't change anything about it.