Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Famous landmark Hollywood restaurant that closed in the last decade. This is the popular chili--Liz Taylor loved it so much she had it shipped around the world to every movie set that she was working on!
- 226.79 g dried pinto bean
- 2 (822.13 g) can tomatoes
- 453.59 g green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 680.38 g onions, chopped
- 7.39 ml vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml finely chopped parsley
- 118.29 ml butter (1 stick)
- 1133.98 g lean ground beef
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 78.07 ml chili powder (2 more tablespoons will make it hotter)
- 9.85 ml salt
- 7.39 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- Rinse beans, put in a bowl and add water so that it extends 2 inches above beans.
- Allow to soak overnight.
- Transfer beans AND water to a large stock pot.
- Simmer, covered, in the same water until tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet and sauté green peppers slowly 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and parsley.
- In a second large skillet, melt butter and sauté beef and pork 15 minutes.
- Add meat to onion mixture, stir in chili powder and cook 10 minutes.
- Add meat mixture to beans in large pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Remove cover and cook 30 minutes longer.
- Skim fat off top.
- NOTE: This chili freezes very well.