Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you do not care for cilantro substitute with Basil and a couple of chili peppers. This is an easy tasty pasta dish.
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup cleaned cilantro
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or less)
- 1 lime, juiced (apprx 3 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a skillet or wok, get it quite hot.
- saute ther onions allowing them to get dark brown& crispy (don't burn them) (apprx 10 minutes) Don't stir too frequently Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile in a food processor, process the garlic, cilantro,pepper, lime juice& 1 tbsp oil When the pasta is cooked and the onions are nicely browned& hot toss the cilantro paste onions and Pasta Serve.
Yum, yum, Bergymum! I like to take "cooking breaks" from studying (believe it or not, cooking relaxes me tremendously! :) and making this was almost as much fun as eating it! Charring the onions gives it a lovely flavour, and the combination of lime, onions, cilantro and garlic was quite something else! I added salt to taste, and wolfed this down for lunch, despite wondering, at first, if 4 ounces of pasta for 1 person was a tad much ;-) I might add some more pepper, or chili powder, or maybe even some dried oregano for just that extra flavour that it seems lacking. Thanks a ton... as usual! :-)
I agree with Anu something seemed to be lacking. My SO added canned tuna to his portion, but didn't find it improved the flavour. Still, a very tasty, warming and filling meal for not a lot of effort and I'd make it again. I used 3 large chillies and basil.
Bergy, you are a lifesaver. I didn't really want to cook and there wasn't a lot in my fridge but your recipe had all the ingredients I actually had. Fried onions always taste good and this recipe is super quick - always a plus when you have toddler.