Recipe by Jitter_Bug
Wonderful recipe for Charleston Okra Soup which I sometimes crave. Could not find this posted on Zaar. Out of Southern Livings Annual Recipes in 1984. Serve over yellow rice to go over the top !!
- 4 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 1 (1 lb) ham hock
- 3 cups sliced okra (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from cob
- 1 cup fresh lima beans
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked yellow rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except rice in a large Dutch oven, brng to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hr, stirring frequently.
- Remove bay leat & discard.
- Remove ham hock from soup.
- Remove meat from the bone and chop.
- Add meat from the bone and stir well.
- Place rice in bowls & ladle soup over rice.