Charleston She-Crab Soup
photo by sdlolli
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon onion juice (may substitute lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 cups white crab meat, and crab roe (eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 -6 tablespoons dry sherry
- paprika, and or fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Bring water in the bottom of a double boiler to a boil, reduce heat so that water barely simmers and make sure that the amount of water does not touch the bottom of the top of the double boiler.
- Melt butter in the top of a double boiler and blend with the flour until smooth.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add the crab meat and roe and all seasonings except sherry and cook slowly, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes.
- To serve, place a tablespoon of warmed sherry in the bottom of each individual soup bowl.
- Add soup and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with parsley and/or paprika.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am originally from Charleston and this is very close to a magnet from market street with the recipe. IT cannot be she crab without the roe! I have found you can buy roe on the internet. Thank you for posting such a authentic recipe! Charleston is known for She Crab Soup and very few can comapare! No true "southerner" would substitute a canned soup to make this recipe for their quests! My magnet has some variations but I also own 2 Receipts cookbooks and know the recipe posted. Bravo to you for keeping it true to form!