Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was passed on to me from my mom who got it from her mom who got it from her mom:) It is a family favourite over the generations and is made every year on this day, for Ashtami, one of my favourite festival:))))))))))))))))))))))) This is served with hot puris or bathure, its mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
- 8 big onions, finely chopped
- 2 big onions, finely sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups black channa, soaked overnight
- 50 g ginger, finely chopped
- 50 g garlic, finely chopped
- 3 -4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 -3 pieces cinnamon
- 7 -8 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons coriander powder (heaped tsps.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lemons, each sliced into 2 halves
- cilantro, finely chopped (a handful)
- 2 medium onions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 lemon, cut in 2 halves (so that you can squeeze the lemon juice all over the channa for that added taste)
- coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add cardamom, cinnamom, cloves and cumin seeds.
- Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the 8 finely chopped onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Stir fry on medium-high flame for 20-30 minutes.
- till reddish-brown in colour.
- Add corriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Now add tomatoes followed by water and black pepper powder.
- Mix well.
- Continue to cook on medium-high flame for 10-15 minutes until the tomato pieces no longer remain visible to the eye.
- In the meantime, boil the channa in water in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes on high flame.
- Drain and remove from heat.
- Keep aside.
- Add salt to the tomato mixture and mix well.
- Add the boiled channa and mix from down towards the top very nicely ensuring that the masala is all over the channa.
- Add the finely sliced onions and remove from heat.
- Mix very well.
- Garnish with 4 green chillies sliced lengthwise to make 8 pieces.
- Spread these 8 pieces all over the top of the channa.
- Keep 2 halves of 1 lemon in the centre, face down on the channa.
- Spread a layer of cilantro on top for that extra elegant and special look and added taste.
- Serve the channa immediately with this.
- ------Forthe accompaniment---------.
- Put all the ingredients in a separate bowl so that only those who wish to eat this alongwith the channa may do so.
- I love this dish so much that I could walk right from USA to New Zealand to eat this.
This recipe I tried last night. 8 onions first i thought the author was joking but then i thought since it is supposed to be a good recipe let me try. And i landed up with painful hard work exactly following the recipe with a ton of disaster in my kitchen. I was not upset with the quantity either but the there was no flavor. I am indian and i have had chole made at home plenty of time but this was worst. there was no flavor of chole at all. it was like I made onion tomato vegetable with chickpeas dunked in it.
Would not recommend it again. Would never go back to this recipe. Which wasted 6 hours of my time struggling in the kitchen to correct the flavor without success.
Eventually landed up throwing away the whole set. What a waste.