Cook1 hr 40 mins
Another Dal recipe! We love trying new dal recipes to go with our Indian meals. Dal is a staple Indian dish. I found this recipe in the cookbook "Vegetarian Cooking Around the World."
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas, washed and drained
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh leaves chopped
- salt, to taste
- Put chickpeas in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover and soak overnight.
- To cook, drain chickpeas. Place chickpeas, water, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add cumin seed and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion turns golden brown.
- Add chickpeas and cooking liquid to onion mixture. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until chickpeas are tender but not mushy. Mix well.
- Place chickpeas in a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro leaves.