Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council that makes plain old hot dogs special.
- 8 slices bacon
- 12 ounces beer
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- 1⁄2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced bell peppers, diced or 1⁄2 cup sweet pepper, strips diced
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat until crispy. Drain on clean paper towels. Crumble cooked bacon.
- Bring beer to a boil in an 8- to 10-inch skillet (large enough to hold hot dogs in a single layer). Add hot dogs to boiling beer. Immediately reduce heat and simmer hot dogs for about 4 to 5 minutes or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F is reached.
- Place hot dogs in buns and top with 1 tablespoon each of mustard, onions, peppers and bacon.
I was too tired to cook and this fit the bill perfectly for dh. He would not touch the peppers but loved the recipe without. Thanks for a great way to make dogs!
Great Hot dog. I used small cheese buns so the wiener stuck out at both ends. Boiling the wiener in beer sure enhances the flavor. Enjoyed my Saturday Night Dogs - Thanks Luvs2Cook for posting