This is the tastiest cabbage you've ever eaten and quite different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced very thin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch (I use granny smith)
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups champagne, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan and add the onions.
- 2Cook and stir over medium heat until they soften.
- 3Add the apple slices and saute for 5 minutes.
- 4Core the cabbages and slice them very very thin.
- 5Add to the saucepan with 1/3 of the champagne, the sugar, lemon zest,salt and lemon juice.
- 6Bring to a boil and simmer gently, covered for 15 minutes.
- 7Add the remaining champagne and a grind or two of pepper and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 8Serve immediately.
- 9The cabbage stays fairly crisp because of the acid in the champagne and lemon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Champagne Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.5
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 344.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g