Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the tastiest cabbage you've ever eaten and quite different.
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced very thin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch (I use granny smith)
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 green cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups champagne, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan and add the onions.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until they soften.
- Add the apple slices and saute for 5 minutes.
- Core the cabbages and slice them very very thin.
- Add to the saucepan with 1/3 of the champagne, the sugar, lemon zest,salt and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining champagne and a grind or two of pepper and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- The cabbage stays fairly crisp because of the acid in the champagne and lemon.