Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the southern Pacific island of Guam where we lived for 4 years! These were a favorite at our church potluck suppers and picnics with barbequed chicken and ribs! Very refreshing in hot and humid weather! (The name "Chamorro" comes from the native people of Guam...very warm, and friendly people...)
- 2 -3 medium cucumbers
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onions or 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 lemons, juice of or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup water
- Pare the cucumbers and leave narrow strips of skin for color.
- Slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a zip-lock plastic bag, combine onions, pepper, soy sauce, lemon juice, and water.
- Add cucumber slices.
- Seal bag securely.
- Turn bag over and over to coat cucumbers.
- Place bag in refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- A longer time will enhance flavor.
- Serve in bowl.
This was very easy to prepare and tasted great. If you are tired of the same old cucumber salad, this is a nice change of pace. I love most cucumber salads, so when I saw this, I had to give it a try and I am glad I did. Thank you for sharing this tasty and unique recipe.
These were very different which is a plus. We liked them but like the vinegar sugar stand-by better. Using the ziploc bag is brilliant, you can manipulate the cukes to make sure they are all covered and can see them the whole time. Thank you for the new tip OzMartha.
We love cucumbers and eat them often. This was a nice change from the vinegar type. My husband thought they were outstanding so I'm sure this will be made a lot in this house. I let them soak for 8-9 hours before eating. I will only make enough for one meal at a time because the next day it wasn't quite as tasty as the 1st.