Recipe by VNess
One of my favorite foods ever: Celery. I like it straight up, but seems that I may be in the minority. For those who take it a little more dressed up, here's a delicious option slightly modified from Food and Wine Magazine.
- 12 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn
- 4 ounces pecorino cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water and about 2 cups of small ice cubes. Add sliced celery and let it soak in the ice water bath for at least 10 minutes or for up to 30 minutes, until very crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice. Stir in the finely chopped shallot. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with 3 T of the dressing. Transfer lettuce to plates or a platter.
- Drain the sliced celery and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Add the celery to the large bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Season the dressed celery with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, scatter the sliced celery over the lettuce.
- Using a very sharp vegetable peeler, shave long strips of the pecorino cheese over the salad. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.