Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe presents quite well and it's a good use of cheap fish eggs.
- 12 eggs, hard-boiled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches scallions (chopped)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 7 ounces black caviar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces red caviar
- I found my mother's copy of this recipe and have updated it for the amount of !cheap! caviar to buy. She says to buy 3 "large" jars of caviar - it seems that small jars have 2 ounces and large, 3.5. I've attached pictures of my mother's handwritten instructions.
- Grease a 10-inch spring-form pan with a little mayonnaise.
- Mash eggs, mayonnaise (just enough to hold eggs together), salt, and pepper together. Spread into bottom of pan.
- Spread scallions on top of egg salad.
- Mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Spread over scallions.
- Recipe can be prepared up to this point the day before (recommended). Place the spring-form on a paper towel on a plate (the sour cream tends to separate).
- Spread the caviar into an aesthetic design use wax paper for masking and toothpicks to move caviar. We frequently made a diamond in the middle using 2 jars and then did the exterior area with the remaining jar. Alternatively, you could do a half-and-half pattern with four jars.
- Serve with plain crackers such as Carr's Table Water Biscuits.