Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cauliflower, cut in florets (about 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dill or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 tablespoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly butter 6-cup (1. 5L) dish.
- In pot of boiling water, cook cauliflower for 3 to 5 min or until tender-crisp.
- Drain and transfer to baking dish, sprinkle with red pepper.
- In non stick saucepan, melt butter.
- Add flour and garlic, cook stirring over low heat for a minute or so.
- Add milk bring to simmer and stir constantly until thickened.
- Add Cheddar and Parmesan, dill, salt and pepper, stir until cheese melts.
- Pour over califlower.
- Toppig: Mix Parmesan and bread crumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Bake, uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.
Our family loves cheese sauce over vegetables and this was a nice way of fixing cauliflower. I used a mix of cauliflower and broccoli as the cauliflower I had bought was small. Adding the red peppers made this a very pretty dish. I will make this again.
A great tasting dish that we both loved. Made it pretty much as written mixing 1 red potato in with half cauliflower and half broccoli. I will make this again. I will however mix vegetables with half of the cheese sauce before putting in in the baking dish and add a little more milk or cream. Topping was easy. Dropped a piece of whole wheat bread into the food processor and turned on for a few seconds. Instant bread crumbs and minimal expense. Added the grated cheese to the breadcrumbs (added a little cheddar also) to make it extra crunchy. Just happened to have some fresh dill and it made the dish pretty and made it taste WONDERFUL. If you have some in the garden, fridge, or freezer, suggest you use it here. Use what the recipe calls for also. Give it a try - it is in our permanent cookbook for repeat recipes. Hey, it is also easy and a snap to make with things often in the fridge. Jim in So. Calif.
Wonderful! We loved this recipe, there wasn't a bit left. It is hard to find cheddar cheese here so I used Emmental.