Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Ready In:
- 1 large cauliflower, steamed till crisp o r tender and broken up into small florets
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, beaten with
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, lightly fried in
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lightly butter a 13 X 9" pyrex baking dish and put in cauliflower.
- Season lightly with white pepper and sprinkle all the cheeses over.
- Beat the eggs into the half and half (you can also use 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 eggs and 1 tblsp cornflour as a sub). Pour over cauliflower-cheese mixture and top with buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a 375F oven until lightly golden-brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- This is also super good at room temperature or cold.
- (Try it for breakfast!) Reheats well, so can be made in advance- just pour a couple of tablespoonfuls of cream (or milk) over for moisture.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I used my Vitamix and combined the milk, eggs, cornstarch and all of the cheeses. I ran on #8 about thirty seconds, until all blended. I then poured over the cauliflower and topped with shredded cheese instead of breadcrumbs and baked for thirty minutes. I didn't have any separation and it turned out great.
Made using milk and cornstarch. Half a recipe was just about right as a side dish for 3 of us with some left over. Recipe didn't say how long to cook so I used the cook time in the heading. It was way too long and the custard broke down. I knew it was cooking too long but I wanted it ready with the rest of the meal. I don't think it affected flavor, just looked a little funky. Loved the crunchy topping. Will probably make again.