Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
What do you get if you cross cauliflower cheese with macaroni cheese? Comfort food heaven.
- 10 ounces pasta
- 1 small cauliflower, separated into florets
- 7⁄8 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- 6 1⁄2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, stir well, bring back to the boil and then cook, uncovered, for a couple of minutes. Tip in the cauliflower florets, bring back to the boil again and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until both the pasta and the cauliflower are tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well. Preheat a hot broiler.
- Add the crème fraîche, mustard, salt and pepper and all but a good handful of the cheese to the pasta pan.
- Stir over a low heat until the cheese just starts to melt. Tip the pasta and cauliflower into the cheese sauce and gently stir together. Season and transfer to a flameproof dish.
- Scatter the tomatoes over the top followed by the rest of the cheese and some pepper. Broil for about 5 minutes until browned and bubbling.