Recipe by Annacia
Top a steaming bowl of chili with a friendly (and edible!) breadstick spider. 8 servings (1 cup chili and 1 spider bread each).
Top Review by ellie_
Very good and easy too! This is a very mild chili (but can very easily be made spicer by just using the "hot" beans and tomato sauce. I used Rotel tomatoes (one can original and one can mild) along with the "mild" chili beans for a very enjoyable chili dinner -- we also loved the spider breads! Thanks for sharing this keeper!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (at least 80%)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) cangreen giant spicy chili beans, undrained
- 1 (11 ounce) cangreen giant mexicorn whole mexicorn whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (11 ounce) canpillsbury refrigerated breadstick dough (12 breadsticks)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 -4 small pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onions over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in tomatoes, chili beans and corn.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F Unroll dough; separate at perforations into 12 breadsticks.
- Cut 4 of the breadsticks in half lengthwise; on ungreased cookie sheets, shape into 8 coils.
- Cut each remaining breadstick lengthwise into 3 strips, making 24 long strips.
- Cut each in half crosswise, making 48 short strips.
- Place 3 short strips on each side of each coil, placing ends under coil; pinch to attach. Bend strips in center to look like spider legs, or place crumbled small piece of foil (about 3x1/2 inch) under 3 "legs" to make them stand up in center.
- Brush breads with beaten egg white.
- Place 2 olive slices on each to look like eyes.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until "spider body" is light golden brown and "legs" are golden brown.
- Top individual servings of chili with cheese; serve with warm spider breads.