Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from the 1000 mexican recipes cookbook
Make and share this Catfish Soup ( Caldo De Bagre ) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilies, halved lengthwise with seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled (Mexican variety preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4-1 lb catfish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- lime wedge
- 1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onion, stirring frequently, until it begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until the tomato juices are reduced, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the broth, carrots, celery, serrano chiles, bay leaves, oregano, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- 2. Remove the serrano chiles and bay leaves from the soup. Add the fish, cilantro, and salt. Cook until the fish is opaque inside, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve the soup hot with lime wedges.