Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Start this pie in a cast-iron skillet over the stove and finish it up in the oven.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin and tossed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin and tossed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- To prepare the filling, melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the apple slices and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Mix sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch in a bowl; gently stir into the apples.
- Continue to cook until apples are soft but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- To prepare the topping, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add the half and half and the vanilla. Quickly blend together.
- To assemble the pie, drop heaping tablespoons of the biscuit mix on top of the apples; cover most of the center of apple mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining sugar.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden. Remove pie from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You know this was very easy to make, and I love to try new things in my very old cast iron skillet. The taste was exactly like an apple pie. The directions are good and easy to follow. I will be making this dish again. Thanks for posting it.
Perfection- delicious and easy! The best apple pie I have ever eaten! Only substitution was arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch (dietary reasons) and a bag of Gala apples instead of golden/granny combo. Cooked it for about 40 minutes instaed of 30 b/c it was in the oven with a pumpkin pie. No leftovers! Will definately make this again! Thanks for this recipe!
THANK YOU! I've been looking for this recipe; they made it the other day on a Minneapolis Public TV station the other day (TPT/Channel 17).... Now I can make it!