Recipe by Pumpkin's Cookin'
This is a much sought after recipe. Very easy. Most Cassia Bud pickle recipes require days of soaking and changing water. Cassia Buds are the unopened flowers of the cassia (cinnamon) tree that are picked just before blooming and dried in the sun. They are very hard to find. I buy them online at The Spice House. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
- 4 quarts pickling cucumbers
- 7 1⁄3 cups vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons cassia, seed (cinnamon buds)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut unpeeled medium cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices.
- Simmer cucumber slices with 4 cups vinegar, salt, mustard seed and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cover until partially tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard liquid.
- Place cucumber slices in hot sterilized jars.
- Boil together remaining 3 1/2 cups vinegar, 5 3/4 cups sugar, celery seed and cassia seed.
- Boil until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Pour immediately over cucumbers.
- Seal immediately.
- I process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.